Shake off these common misconceptions and judgments of Expats and Expat Spouses. Heard any of these before?
1. Expat Spouses are Women
2. Expat Spouses have to be Married
3. Expat Spouses did not have a successful career before moving
4. He/she left everything to "follow" her partner across the world
5. Expat Spouses do not work and are unable to have successful careers
6. Expats don't have a close knit family at home otherwise they wouldn't leave nor enjoy expat life
7. Expats and Expat Spouses do not have many lifelong friends
8. "You can't/aren't strong enough/aren't able to deal with an expat lifestyle"
9. The Expat that made his/her Spouse and Family move for his/her career, is selfish
10. <Insert judgment about raising kids as a serial expat here> and multiply it by 1 billion
So we never miss a beat...we are lightening on our feet & thats what they don't see (yes but we do kind of make up the moves as we go).
So here is a challenge for you, the next time someone provides a real sparkler of an opinion on your life choices THINK...is it True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary and Kind (THINK)? If not, then in the words of the refreshingly insightful to the point she could be an old soul Taylor Swift - Shake It Off!
You matter!Your comments matter! Don't let the World miss out on your point of view. Comment below or join the discussion on our forum